Senior Project


Day 1 (May 1st): 5 hours total spending

Due to the public holiday in China, my run-way model class will begin on May 4th (which is 3rd in America). However, I began to be a picture model. I tried to practice my facial management. For example, I should know which angle can show my prettiest part of the face. Knowing how to interact with the camera becomes one crucial part that the photographer teaches me.






Plus, models should have some basic gestures that they know how to use the items and show the best perspective of themselves in the photo studio. May 1st is the first day of my senior project. I just did some basic photography model related practice or work to dig into the atmosphere of being a model.

Day 3 (May 3rd): 6 hours total spending

I began my first practice day. I spent a total of 6 hours on practicing catwalks. It is harder than I thought. I should control every part of my body muscles when I am walking. Plus, I also need to do some body-shaping practices to make my body looks nicer. It was a long and tough day for me to do to many walks and exercise. However, I found that modeling would be one of my future hobbies that I will spend a lot of time on it. Let’s see what will happen in the next days!




Day 4 (May 4th): 6 hours total spending

Today is a long long long day! It is so tough for me since I never wear high heels. I think I have met the largest challenge on my way of learning how to be a model. Wearing high heels, controlling all muscles, and managing my facial expressions all make me notice that be a runway model is harder than people expected. My legs and hip ache and sore so much. However, I finally feel that I am at the gate of models. My teacher is a model who is taller than me. She is patient and teaches me a lot. I am very thankful of being a student of this professional model!


Day 5 (May 5th): 5 hours total spending

Today, my teacher makes me practice the catwalk without high heels. I can wear flat shoes to walk, but it is not easy. I should do a lot of exercises to make my core muscles stronger. Waist, abdomen, and hip are the most central and important part for models. I only can walk on runway stage if I have strong controls of those parts. I spent 2 hours on exercising, and another 2 hours on walking. It is interesting and meaningful to view my own progress in the mirror. I can clearly see my improvement since my first practice! I will continue to work to reach my teacher’s requirement; then, I can practice with my high heels.


Week reflection:

The first week has already last, and I have enjoyed a great period of time. I think I am on the right track of being a model. Every day’s practice is heavy and tough, but I gained not only model skills but also body-shapes that are good for my health and appearance. Next week, I am going to practice with my high heels which I am very looking forward since high heels are something that all girls want to wear. However, I know that wearing them to walk and controlling all muscles are tough. Now, I also need to manage my facial expressions when I am on the stage. I have some bad facial habits that are bad looking when I am nervous. I will overcome all the challenges I will face next week!



Day 6 (May 6th): 6 hours total spending

I started to extend my exercise time, which now is 1-2 hours per day. Abdomen became the most crucial part that I should work on. I was a girl who did not like exercising, meaning that I did not have any muscles. However, now I have strong leg muscles and outline of abdominal muscles. Plus, I understand why people say that the model is a harsh occupation because of heavy exercise and restrictions. I should control my diet: there are a lot of things that I cannot eat or drink. I should manage my schedule: I need to go to bed before 11 pm. I should spend a lot of time in the gym or in the classroom to do practices and exercises. These are all things that I never thought in the past. I spent many hours on standing as well because I should adjust my postures before I get used to the form of catwalks.




Day 7 (May 7th): 6 hours total spending

Today I spent my whole working on walking with high heels. My feet were so sore, and I got a blister on my left foot. Although the practices are harsh, I am pretty into this activity. I am used to doing heavy exercises every day; I am used to standing along the wall to adjust my postures every day; I am used to taking walking classes every day. Plus, there is one fun fact: now is the first time that I got many body muscles. I feel that my body was shaped into a good appearance.





Day 9 (May 9th): 2 hours total spending

Finally, I can have a rest today!!! I do not have class, but I still need to do exercises by myself. I walked in my neighborhood with a pair of high heels because I did not feel comfortable to wear them in the past. Plus, walking more and exercising more makes me healthier since I never did a lot of exercises before. I have a good schedule every day, which is my most significant gain from the senior project that I will force myself to do exercises and have better body conditions. Moreover, my teacher told me that I should spend more time on making facial expressions, especially smiles. I am not relaxed enough when I am on stage.


Day 10 (May 10th): 4 hours total spending

Today, a model teacher in the institution where I studied modeling told me that I might have a chance to be an advertising model. They need to take pictures of two lady models. However, they should select from all applicants. The institution recommended me to have a try. I am very excited since this chance can be the first time that I can become a professional model, not being taken pictures by my friends. Professional photographers and teams will teach me and help me a lot. I am very looking forward to this chance. I sent them all my information and pictures. Let’s wait to see what is the result!

Day 11 (May 11th): 6 hours total spending

Today has been a regular practice day that I spent almost my whole day in the institution. I have taken classes from 10 am until 3 pm. We did core-muscles exercises and practiced catwalks step by step, with both wearing high heels and not. Since it is Saturday, I can have classes with many teenagers as well. It is more exciting and helps me focus more when I can do something with friends who are at my age. I made friends with them, and we talked a lot about our motivations, experiences, and ideas about modeling. One of them has learned about modeling for two years; she told me that it is competitive to be a model because there are more models but rare chances.


Day 12 (May 12th): 6 hours total spending

Both today and yesterday were long days. The schedule is almost the same as yesterday’s schedule. Nevertheless, my teacher praised my improvements. She said that I would be selected if I am at recruitment or a selection as I am wearing flat shoes. What she inferred was that I should practice more with my high heels. Since half of my journey has passed, I have entered into a new world of fashion and model. Now I know how much effort a model should pay to reach her or his goals. Although the practices are monotonous and repetitive, I am still energetic because I am very interested in being a model.



Week Reflection:

I can witness my signs of progress and improvements in the realm of models. Although I am still a beginner who has a lot of things to learn, I am still proud of myself. Knowing how much exercise a model should do each day, making sure the diet is healthy for each meal, and showing the best gestures when you are on stage are all that I learned. Plus, I know what kind of poses I can show to the viewers when I have two or three seconds to stop on the stage. Facial expressions, tempos, and controls of muscles are all I need to be aware of when I am on the stage. Nothing is easy to do in this world. Models are also people who sacrifice and pay a lot of efforts to reach their goals. Liu Wen is a famous Chinese female model who is very popular internationally. I am a big fan of her; I watched many of her runway videos and vlogs as well. I think she is the idol for me to reach!



Day 13 (May 13th): 4 hours total spending

Today, I met a lady who is the manager of the activity I mentioned the day before yesterday (the one that I may be the advertising model). The audition did not last long: I need to show some angles of my face, and they want to know some of my measurements. I did not have many experiences about how to show the best of me in an audition. The result will come in a few days. Plus, I did some basic practices of catwalks with high heels and exercises about the hardcore of muscles.

Day 14 (May 14th): 8 hours total spending

One of my friends, who is an amateur of photography, asked me that if I would be her model when I am free. Therefore, she took many pictures of me in an art exhibition which sets up beautiful backgrounds for photographers to take pictures. The theme colors are Klein Blue and white. It is also interesting and exciting for me to be a plane model or still model. Runway models should know how to communicate with viewers and the stage while plane models should know how to communicate with photographers and their own emotions.




Day 15 (May 15th): 6 hours total spending

Now, listening to music is one of the essential characteristics that a model should hold. Today’s specific practice is about music. Stage walks can be considered as slow walks and fast walks. They both have different rhymes that we should adjust our moves with the music. Since I am not a person who is good at listening to musical rhymes, my teacher wanted me to have a specific class about music. I do not know if the improvements will be shown very soon, but I know this class will benefit me in my later life.

Day 16 (May 16th): 6 hours total spending

My journey of modeling is reaching its ending. I still have regular practices and exercises today with my teacher, including stage walks with and without high heels. However, I heard one bad news that I was not selected to be the advertising model. The manager in the institution did not tell me the specific reason but only the result. For sure, I am disappointed because I expected to join some professional photography activities. Nevertheless, as an amateur in this realm, I am still far away from the requirements.



Day 17 (May 17th): 6 hours total spending

My wish that be a stage model becomes more and more intense, but I did not find any chances. Because the length of the senior project is not long, fashion weeks have passed, and I am not professional enough, I think that I will not have any official performance during the whole senior project. However, I still gained a lot. Finally, I have a period to do something that I want to do. I can have time, energy, and chance to explore something that I had no chances in the past. Now, I know how to walk on the stage with high heels, and I know what should I exercise in the gym. My body looks nicer and becomes healthier. This senior project is significant for me!

Day 18 (May 18th): 9 hours total spending

Today, my friend asked me to be the volunteer model again. She wanted to capture the beauty of nature, people, and photography. I enjoyed the process of being taken pictures because I love how I am in front of the cameras. I will become more confident when I am looking at cameras. We took the pictures when sunset is appearing by the sea. The combination of darkness and brightness, shadows and lights, nature and people make photography beautiful and meaningful. Both the photographer and I had a great experience together.




Day 19 (May 19th): 6 hours total spending

The end of the senior project is coming. I reviewed all I have learned. Facial expressions and pose managements are the first things I learned. Next, I foster a habit that I need to stand by the wall for a specific gesture that changes my humpback every day. Plus, I should be aware of my abdomen, legs, and waists when I am stage walking. All the muscles should be controlled, and I also need to listen to the music that has its rhymes. Being a model is harder than what people expect and see; they should pay a lot of efforts to show their beauties when they are on the stage.


Week Reflection

It is the third week of the senior project. However, things do not happen as expected. I was not selected in advertising shooting, and I did not find any performance chances because fashion weeks passed, and brands have already exhibited new seasons. I still participated in some photography activities. I became the volunteer still model for my friend, who cooperated with me many times. I found out that I became very confident in front of cameras, and I enjoyed the process of exploring and preparing for my clothes, pieces of jewelry, and shoes by myself. Plus, I still practice my stage walks every day. Now, I can easily wear high heels and control all my muscles when I am walking. My teacher praised my improvements in rhymes, gestures, and emotions. I think I am on the right way to reach my final goals. Although I may not become a fantastic model now, I believe I will become a significant runway and still model in the future that I will walk on the stage for those famous fashion brands!


Comments

  1. Lo Wan, Nice blogs from the first week. Do you have the blogs for the second week done yet? I could not find them. Dan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment